IUplanet: Indiana Hoosier forums, sports, photos, and Bloomington life

IU Forums | Indiana Hoosier News | Indiana University Sports | IU Baseball Forum | IU Basketball Forum | IU Football Forum | IU Soccer Forum
IU Litte Five | Bloomington Bars | Bloomington Restaurants | Hoosier Hottie | Bloomington Drink Specials
Go Back   IUplanet: Indiana Hoosier forums, sports, photos, and Bloomington life > Hoosiers Discuss > IUplanet Hoosier News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributing Writer

Credits: 52,066
DMX riot update: Security, not IUPD used Mace, legal actions possible

After doing an investigation, the IU Police Department has determined that it was a hired security officer, not an IUPD member, who sprayed the front row of a DMX concert at Lambda Chi Alpha with Mace Wednesday night.

The development was first reported by Billboard.com late yesterday afternoon. The site talked to Indiana University spokesman Larry MacIntyre.

This video still, from WTHR Channel 13 in Indianapolis, shows who sprayed Mace on the crowd at the DMX concert Wednesday.

"I did chat with the campus police, who said that it was not them who disbursed the crowd using pepper spray," spokesman Larry MacIntyre told Billboard.com. "It was a private security firm. Our campus police would not have handled it in that manner. It's been described as a riot, but I think a disturbance would have been a better description."

The Indiana Daily Student confirmed the report this morning.

According to the IDS, Channel 13, the Indianapolis NBC affiliate, caught the whole thing on tape. The station gave the IUPD the tape yesterday, allowing them to see who actually sprayed the crowd with Mace. That is when the department determined that it was hired security help, not an IUPD officer, who sprayed the crowd.

IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger told the IDS that many people may have thought the security guard was IUPD because he was wearing a similar uniform and a gun belt.

Still, the incident is far from over. According to the IDS, at least several people who were in attendance are considering pressing charges against the offending party. One of them, 23-year-old Billy Bowman, is a quadriplegic.

Bowman was in the front row at the concert, but was not in his electric wheelchair, so he was not able to move himself out of the way of the Mace. His 17-year-old sister, Katie, couldn’t move him in time and both were sprayed in the face.

We will update the story as more becomes available.

To see IUplanet’s other coverage of the DMX incident:
IU students, IUPD clash at DMX concert
DMX disaster, Kappa Sigma expulsions make Little 500 miserable for some frats

Other sites' stories on IU's DMX riot:
Dmx - Riot After Concert
XXLmag.com | Hip-Hop On A Higher Level | Riot Breaks Out During DMX Show at Indiana University
Riot Breaks Out At DMX Show At Indiana University | DMX | News
Disorder breaks out at DMX concert at Lambda Chi Alpha
The Daily Swarm - Front row gets maced at Indiana University fraternity DMX gig...campus police deny spraying...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
IUplanet Member

Credits: 6,772
Do you guys believe this? I mean... I guess the video would prove it, but I can't believe the comments that spokesman had... "We wouldn't handle it like that." Ha. I bet IUPD was close to doing the same thing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:49 PM
IUplanet Member

Credits: 9,713
How else are you supposed to get a bunch of drunken idiots who like DMX under control?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
IUplanet Member

Credits: 120
lets think?

has any of you thought of what security had to deal with...? let me see 1000+ angry students, a drunk and cracked out "superstar" and a ton of people who thought they were in charge. This concert was a mess from the beginning, only hireing 10 guards....for DMX? this is insanity. security was given help by the frats, dont get this wrong...let me see 20 or so kids in DMX security t-shrits that were there to watch for free and not help a bit. so what does this tell us. as a member of the security force we were out numbered 10 to 1 and i know that people are saying no one rushed the stage i was there at the stage protecting the potographer from getting a face full, and then continued to deal with at least 3 people trying to scale the fence and do what ever damage they could to very expensive stage gear. we were there for your protection as well as the act's. you are all a bunch of lawsuit happy people that think the world or someone owes you something. Freedom and rights are earned not given because you attend college. Grow up kids, it aint all puppydog tails in this world. I know that most of you are overpriviledged snotnoses, but you have to grow up sometimes. be real and think with the head on your shoulders. I personally didnt spray anything as i said i was keeping the potographer from getting hit. I do apologize to the innocent that might have gotten hit, but it was out of control and there were people in a very serious situation that night. Sue if you must, but remember that you were part of what the police is calling a riot, or unruley mob. ???? Im just paid help from the company and my opinion means nothing, but please take my apologie because it is sincere. Lets all grow up and be part of the real world and not a college make believe that mommy and daddy are paying for you to drink and have fun? When i went to college it was about grades not how many beers i could bong? Crazy me....think of all the good times i missed out on studying on a Wednesday night...
Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Sampsonite for Life

Credits: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by w zeigler View Post
Im just paid help from the company and my opinion means nothing, but please take my apologie because it is sincere.
Wow... somehow, I don't take this sincerely at all. You say you're apologizing, but you contradict yourself the whole time by saying all that stuff about being overpriveleged.

You're right... being in college gives us no special rights, but being HUMAN does. Innocent people have the right to not be physically harmed by some stupid out of control security guard. If the IUPD wasn't spraying people, why did you guys feel the need?

You guys sprayed a kid in a wheelchair. What was he going to do to your stupid equipment?

I love how everything that involves IU and someone from the community turns into "us versus them". All IU students aren't rich and snotty. And some of us don't go out every night of the week. This shouldn't be about IU vs. the community. It's about what's right and what's not.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 PM
IUplanet Member

Credits: 7,994
The guards had to do what was necessary to ensure safety. If a riot was about to break out, they had to keep things under control. It was a time bomb waiting to happen putting a fucked-up DMX in front of a bunch of fucked up college kids with not enough security. It sucks that they got sprayed but I think it had to be done.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 PM
IUplanet Member

Credits: 7,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierHysteric View Post
You guys sprayed a kid in a wheelchair. What was he going to do to your stupid equipment?
So what were they supposed to do, just let the other 1000 kids rush the stage and allow all kinds of injury and possibly even worse? It sucks that he got sprayed but there were much worse consequences that needed to be prevented.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
The Final Leg

Credits: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamNCrimson86 View Post
So what were they supposed to do, just let the other 1000 kids rush the stage and allow all kinds of injury and possibly even worse? It sucks that he got sprayed but there were much worse consequences that needed to be prevented.
I don't think that equipment is more important than people... it's an abuse of power.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Local Hoosier Hysteric

Credits: 9,695
Zeigler has a good point, but it's not fair to stereotype all college kids like that...people who go see DMX aren't exactly the cream of the crop.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
IUplanet Member

Credits: 9,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed10 View Post
Zeigler has a good point, but it's not fair to stereotype all college kids like that...people who go see DMX aren't exactly the cream of the crop.
Word. They could have found a better way to spend their money.